It’s me again, Charlie. Thank you so much for your good wishes. I'm feeling much better now.
Regular readers of this blog know that I struggle with weight loss, stomach sickness, and all of the medicines and tests associated with IBD, or inflammatory bowel disease. What you might not know is that my person, Chris, our blog photographer and bike racer [and Debby’s husband – ed.], also has a form of IBD called Crohn’s Disease. It is a painful autoimmune disorder that often results in surgeries, and sometimes even removal, of the intestines. Some patients cannot attend school, hold down a job, or travel very far from their homes. My person has struggled with Crohn’s symptoms since college, was in and out of the hospital in 2003, and had one surgery. At that time, his dream of bike racing seemed impossible. But with new medications, he and I are doing really well! Look at him now!
Last fall, my persons signed up for a charity bicycle ride called Get Your Guts in Gear. The ride starts in NYC and ends in Saratoga Springs, NY, June 8-10, 2007. It raises money for the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation and other charities that provide funds for research and treatment for IBD. While these organizations only support humans, whatever they learn benefits veterinary medicine too. Believe it or not, my person and I take the same tests and have the same medicines!! [and the same naps - ed.]
Chris will be riding 210 miles in 3 days along the Hudson River Valley, and Debby will be joining the support crew. She’s even willing to go camping on their anniversary weekend! But to participate, they need our help to raise the rider’s fee of $2000. Since the idea of 3 days in a bicycle basket doesn’t appeal to me, and they didn’t like my suggestion for a spaghetti dinner, I’m volunteering as Spokescat (get it?) and chief fundraising helper. I’m hoping you will support my persons and me to raise money for the thousands of humans and animals that struggle with intestinal disorders, diseases, and even cancers. We have prizes to make it fun!
Here’s how to help:
1) Click on the GYGIG button, where you will see Chris’ fundraising letter and the link for donation.
2) For every donation, you will receive one ticket into the prize drawing. If you prefer to spread your donation out over the next few months, you’ll receive a ticket for each time you donate.
3) If you post about this on your blog and help us spread the word, you’ll also receive one ticket. Be sure to leave a comment with the link to your page, or email me and let me know.
4) On the last weekends in March and April, Timmy or I will announce the winner of a $21 gift certificate (210 miles), to the yarn shop or bike shop of the winner’s choice. It can be online or a local shop. The winner must respond in 10 days via email or blog comment with how to get in touch with them, or we will choose another winner.
5) On Memorial Day weekend, also our first blogiversary, we’ll give away a $30 gift certificate (3 days) to the yarn shop or bike shop of the winner’s choice. Though we’ll be asking family and co-workers for donations, the prize drawings are reserved for our internet friends and blog readers only. You are special to us!
6) No kitties were harmed in the preparation of this post, but bribes may have been accepted!!
Please send email to adamsdebra AT sbcglobal DOT net if you have any questions or comments. Chris, Debby, and I thank you in advance for your support!